Weird Worm thing found in stool

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I'm not sure what this thing is as it is about 1 cm long. I should have saved the stool. But this thing is actually hard. It came out of my 6 year old axe this morning in her poop. Her poop wasn't really broken up but there was a tear in the ...call it the bag envelope of the poop. I didn't see any white speckled things in the stool.

This worm thing is dark brown too like her poop so it was hard to tell at first if it wasn't just normal poop. She had been a little grouchy and picky about eating. For all I know, either this is something growing in her and died when she pooped it out or she ate some weird bug thing and pooped it out. Never seen a bug like this. Kind of creepy.

Parameters have always been good at 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 20-40 Nitrates. Temperatures at 17C. If anyone recognizes this thing, it's a lot of help. Chances are I have to take her stool next time to the vet to get it analyzed. Gah....

Attachments

• IMG_2946.JPG
    IMG_2946.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 12,408
I'm pretty sure it's not a parasite.. So that's good. I don't think many nematodes host in axolotls which is probably the closest thing that picture seems to resemble. My best guess would be that there was some sort of bug larvae that ended up in the food that you fed your axolotl. I would just keep an eye out for anymore of those things and check the food you are feeding her.. Though it might just be a one time incident. I hope that helps!

It looks a bit like a wax worm in size and shape...?But wrong colour. I would guess its something with a hard exo skeleton which has passed through your ax. Is the tank open...it could have crawled or fallen in if so, I wouldn't worry.

Sounds relieving, I am also guessing it is a bug. The tank is open. I did recently bought some brine shrimp and gave her some clumps so it is even possible there was a dead bug there. So gross! Crossing fingers that that is the last of it. Thanks everyone!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back