Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Building a rack, can i use the same water?

Brynjar

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am working on a rack containing, in this order top to botton.

8 Firebelly toads (semi aquatic)
3 Fire salamanders (water bowl)
9 Smooth Newt (water bowl)
13 African dwarf frogs (full aquatic)

I was wondering if it was possible to cykle the same water through all the cages? I dont mix species and i am aware of the toxix that is involved when mixing. I'm just not sure weather the animals would poison each other when looping tanks. Any expreience or thoughths greatly appreciated.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If by using the same water you are effectively mixing species, so apart from physically touching, or eating each other all the usual risks apply. Cross contamination of disease is always a risk when mixing species, especially with clawed frogs as they are known to carry Chytrid fungus.
The thing is, there are always risks for the animals involved when mixing species and absolutely no benefits, so tools.nets and buckets etc should be sterilised before using them in multiple tanks.
Small air driven sponge filters are easily set up
and would be perfect for a racking system as one air pump will easily drive multiple filters.

Last edited:

Brynjar

Reaction score
Thanks thats what i thought. I was actually not referring to a rack as in snake racks but 4 * 180l aquariums. And it would be nice to have an steady flow running though them all. But yeah as you say no benefits, not even the elbill, well then its settled. Thanks man :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!