Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating and rolling on side

Someone

Reaction score
One of my juvenile axys is floating on top of the tank constantly. He sort of rolls over to his side at times. He attempts to swim but doesn't go under the water, just paddles around on the top. He's been like this for two days. He's still eating well. The water temp is 66 and I continue to spot clean and do water changes. Is there something I can do or should do to help him?

Icyriah

Reaction score
Sounds like they're just having fun floating and let too much air in! It'll prevent them from staying down in the water, and it's common for juveniles from what I've read. This site explains it better than I can. "Lastly, floating. Axolotls will float just for fun, and often swallow air, and are unable to come down for a while. This can easily be mistaken for constipation. I like to check this by blowing on my floating lotl, to give them a wee fright, and they swim back down. If they can’t stay down, then you can keep an eye on them. They may float a lot, and it is easy to get worried, but sometimes they just like it, especially if the water flow from your filter is low. If you see them constantly unable to stay down, and their back legs keep floating upwards, they might be constipated, and you can try a trip to the fridge if you are worried!" Here's another post on the forum about it, looks like if it's caused by the air, you should fridge it to help get rid of the gas!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1