If I use light in my Axolotl tank

Kdog618

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kennedy~♡
If I use lights in my Axolotl tank will the heat given off balance with a chiller in the tank~?

id stay away from bright lights because due to the fact that axolotls dont have eye lids it can be very hard on their eyes and its likely they will spend alot of time hiding. and fluorescent lights that come with most fish tanks do put off alot of heat. im not sure that it would completely reverse the effects of the chiller but chances are it will raise the temperature a few degrees

Is the light necessary for the tank? Is it being used for plants or just viewing purposes? If you're not using it for the survival of your plants, there's not really a reason to keep it on all hours of the day. You can turn it on whenever you'd like to look at your axie, but just make sure you have adequate hiding areas where it can get away from the light if need be. As for the chiller question, it depends on the light you have and how large the bulb is. A desk lamp puts off less heat than long fluorescent bulb kept in an enclosed space, such as that of an aquarium hood. You also have to take into account the distance it is from the water; if it's within a few inches, there's a good chance it will interfere with water temperature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back