Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why is my axolotl so small?

Hannahlotl2987

Reaction score
Hi all,
One of my axolotls, Murphy, is a beautiful melanoid in very good health.

The thing is she's VERY small compared to my other two. She is about five months older than Odd (my youngest) yet she's at least 3 inches smaller.

Odd is ten inches. Hannah is nine and a half. Although she's on the same diet and happy as a clam, Murphy is only 7 1/2 to 8 inches.

She was the only one who ever swallowed gravel (in the pet store) and she had some problems early in life.

Could she be a dwarf? I'm not posting in sick bc she's otherwise healthy.

Just need some opinions XD

Thanks,
Ariel

Bette

Reaction score
There are plenty of axolotls that have a mature length of 8 inches or so. She definitely isn't a dwarf (you would know. .. she would have a very short compressed body). And it sounds like she isn't what people call a mini lotl either. ... I thought those were under 7 inches.
She probably just didn't get a good start in life. Poor diet etc... and she just never caught up.
I'm glad to hear that she is healthy.

Hannahlotl2987

Reaction score
Thank you! She was just in terrible conditions.

She swallowed gravel at the store and took months to pass it. She has had a wound from a siphon n accident etc. now she's much better just smaller and derpy.

Maybe a LITTLE chubby though XD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!