Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Bottle cooling help

kelsi

Reaction score
My 20 gallon tank is currently sitting at around 21'C (70'F)
I have a mesh lid on the tank to allow evaporation and have a fan pointed at the water to help cool a bit as well.
I have been told of a 'Frozen Bottle' method, but I am worried that it will cause too much of a change in the tank temp and shock my axies...

I work for 8+hrs/day during the hottest time of the day.
If I drop a bottle into the tank before I leave for work then swap it out with a new bottle when I get home do you think my axolotls will be able to handle it....

If so what size bottle would you suggest.
Would multiple bottles be a good idea?
Would freezer packs work better (melt slower)?
Or are there other cooling methods that I haven't thought of...

(I also live on the top floor of a 4 story apartment so finding a cooler room for the tank isnt going to happen)

allied123

Reaction score
I was in this exact position last summer, with my tank sitting at 70-72 actually and working 8 hours a day but I think putting a frozen bottle in was really more stressful because it would drop the temp down to like 64 but by the time I came home it was almost 74... I think if you're able to keep it around 70 with a mesh top and fan I would just do that, maybe test out a freezer pack on your day off and monitor the temp every hour or so, I haven't tried those yet but they seem like a great idea in theory and I'd love to hear if you try them out!

Another idea maybe would be to take a frozen bottle and put it in front of the fan so the fan is blowing cool air across the top of the water?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!