How do you keep a tank relatively clean with a sponge filter?

generalbutton

Reaction score
Country
United States
I seem to be asking questions left and right! Okay, so I have two sponge filters in my 10g right now, which do the chemical filtration perfectly. However, as we know, mechanical lacks a little bit. How do fellow spongers deal with that?

I'm finding that if I'm always sucking up particles to keep it clean, I then have to add more water in just a few days (I also have a fan to keep the water at the right temp, so it evaporates some) and I'm not sure how stressful this is going to be for the axie. I definitely want to avoid that. The ph and whatnot doesn't really change when I do that but I read that plants and the filter could also get stressed from this. :confused:

Is there a better way to do this that I'm missing?

Nup, daily spot checks are a must with sponge filters.

A turkey baster helps to get the muck with as little water as possible but your only other option is to add a filter in there that isnt a sponge filter

I simply waft a net around gently to gather up any bits of waste material .

I have a sponge filter and I just use the turkey baster to spot clean. About once a week or so I'll use my little battery powered gravel vac to suck out around the decorations and plants. My plants and axys seem to be doing fine this way.

which do the chemical filtration perfectly.

Sponge filters are biological filtration. Chemical filtration is things like activated carbon and charcoal.

If you want perfectly clear water then don't use a sponge filter. Well, use a sponge filter, but also use a hang on back? Create a baffle if you're extremely paranoid about current, but a small hob shouldn't create much current. Also you don't need it on all the time, just have nothing but mechanical filtration in it (filter floss) and run it for an hour a day, it'll keep the tank pretty as can be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back