Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Dark Spots on my albino axolotl

albinoaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi, I ve reading is normal that when they got older they get pigmentation but I dont know what these black spots are. I also noticed that her skin is dry in the areas with the dark spots. Please Help, here some pictures:

IMG_3822.JPG

IMG_3823.JPG

allied123

Reaction score
That does not look like normal coloration that I have seen personally...it looks like it could be some type of bacterial infection and probably needs to be seen by a vet...what do you mean when you say it's dry?

albinoaxolotl

Reaction score
I mean her skin in this areas doesnt have the normal smooth texture. There is no amphibian's vet in my area. If its a bacterial infection I would have to treat her myself.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What are you feeding it? That is really odd looking. It is probably an infection or possibly parasites.

michael

Reaction score
I have no idea. I was thinking possibly parasites from fish or snails.

TatoTesla

Reaction score
She looks like she's bloated or something.. It might be parasite and/or diet related. But I'm not sure

albinoaxolotl

Reaction score
Her poop looks normal that could be a signal that she doest have parasites?, I think maybe she is just fat because is a female and I used to feed her everyday until 2 months ago, Now she s 1 year and 7 months old. Any Idea about what the dark spots can be? she is getting more. If there are any vet around I would appreciate your opinion, because there is no amphibian's vet in my area. please help

TatoTesla

Reaction score
Well you would have to have the poop analyzed in order to check for parasites because they often are released in the poop.

Hmm.. That feeding schedule could explain the bloating but I have no other ideas what the coloration could be

albinoaxolotl

Reaction score
hahaha that s not an option, what other indicator you know to find out if she has parasites? Well thanks! let me now if you get any information

TatoTesla

Reaction score
Typically, amphibian parasites are released through the feces so looking for parasites in the feces and in the water is really the only way to tell.. I'm not sure I have very much advice for you besides to see a vet in case of bacterial infection or parasites, which you don't seem to be able to do :/

albinoaxolotl

Reaction score
Ok I will search in her poop, do you think they are observable with naked eye or magnifying glass? or they are so small that I would need a microscope? I m not able because there are no specialized vet in my area, I have to contact someone by email but I dont know anyone.

TatoTesla

Reaction score
Yeah you can see most amphibian parasites with the naked eye or a magnifying glass.. These would be flatworms or nematodes (I'm not familiar with parasites of axolotls but I do study amphibian parasites and these are probably the most likely parasites you would find). They will just look like small worms that are either flat in shape or round like a very very small earthworm. I'm sorry you can't find any exotic vet nearby, I hope you have some luck finding someone and I hope your axie gets better!

michael

Reaction score
The problem with doing fecal samples for aquatic salamanders is the sample can easily become corrupted. Benign worms that live in your aquarium can be attracted to the feces and give you false results. Try to collect the sample shortly after it is deposited.

albinoaxolotl

Reaction score
Black spots on my albino axolotl, please help

My albino axolotl has a type of infection and It is getting worse, some people have told me that it is a bacterial infection, I know I should have my axolotl seen by an amphibians vet but there is no one in my area.

I'd be very grateful If someone specialized would tell me what type of infection it is and how to treat her or If someone has information about a vet that I could contact by email it would be very useful. please help! here some pictures:
IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3834.JPG

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Re: Black spots on my albino axolotl, please help

First pick up your axie and try to rub that stuff off. Once My axie's bum was all black and I was worried too but then it came off after I rubbed it so I guess that was really his poop.

if it doesn't come off then you could use antibiotics. I know you said there is no vet. So try this link http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...xolotl/99459-axolotl-antibiotic-solution.html

Keep your axie in a sick tub and also confirm if your water parameters for your main tank is ideal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!