First newt/salamander.

Emily1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have frogs as well as many other inverts but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for my first newt/ salamander. I live in California incase that makes a difference (I know certain species of things are banned).

Like I said I am not new to amphibians, just newts/salamanders. Just looking for a nice starter/midrange level breed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pleurodeles waltl and Ambystoma mexicanum are usually considered the best beginner species, but if you want something with more intermediate care requirements then I would suggest some species of Salamandra, or Neurergus as possible choices. Take a look at the care sheets on this website to help decide what you think would be appropriate.
Caudata Culture Caresheets -Seth

Pleurodeles waltl and Ambystoma mexicanum are usually considered the best beginner species, but if you want something with more intermediate care requirements then I would suggest some species of Salamandra, or Neurergus as possible choices. Take a look at the care sheets on this website to help decide what you think would be appropriate.
Caudata Culture Caresheets -Seth

Axolotls and all other Ambystomids are banned in California however

I vote P. waltl, common name Spanish Ribbed Newts. Super cute, easy to house and feed (should be OK with just a fan, rather than an expensive chiller), and they are very entertaining to watch! Very active and gregarious. At first I was disappointed I couldn't have an axolotl, but now am happier with my ribbed newts. In fact, a couple weeks ago I was offered a black-market axolotl (friend of a friend! I don't know any names if the Feds are reading! :wink: And it was something innocent, like they moved from Oregon) and I declined with very little regret.

I would suggest for newts anything in the cynops, echinotriton or pleurodeles families if you already have some experience with amphibians they should be no problem to keep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did have someone from the site offer to sell me a P. Waltl a few days ago but he never replied after I asked the price :( I will look into the species you all mentioned. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For a newt I would think P. waltl. Newts/sals like it cool, and living in California, I understand that during the summer it is hard to achieve cooler temps (below 70ºF). If you want a terrestrial salamander you might want to look into collecting a native one (You must own a fishing license to do this, however).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back