Gah! Suddenly water is cloudy. Sand or something else?

generalbutton

Reaction score
Country
United States
Long post. I'm kinda freaking out so I hope it's nothing. I have two sponge filters in my tank which have done wonderful jobs of keeping the water clean. However, suddenly a day or two ago the water was very cloudy like when you first put sand in your tank. Which brings me to my main concern: is this harmful, or just leftover sand?

Allow me to explain. Before I got my axolotl I put clean play sand in my tank, but when I read it's not good until they're about 5in, I took it out. The filter still keep spewing out a bit of sand, but it wasn't a big deal since I could barely see the particles it was so fine. The water was clear after I got the axolotl, but the other day I cleaned one of the filters by gently squeezing it into some siphoned tank water and when I put it back in, the water became a little cloudier by the hour. It's not super cloudy, but it's definitely noticeable. I wouldn't be so worried if I didn't notice that my axolotl was flicking it's gills a lot more and going up for air a lot when previously it didn't do either of those very much.

I'm also considering whether or not it's from overfeeding. Can that make water cloudy? When I first got it, I put in (and took out after a short time) a lot of pellets and things to see whether or not it would eat.

Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all at 0. Ph is a steady 7.4. Below is a link to a video I uploaded to youtube showcasing the cloudy water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB2qeMcVoKM

Did you cycle your tank prior to placing in your axie? If not, then this may be a bacteria bloom. Which is actually a good thing, but then you should read up on cycling while your axie is already inside the tank.

Did you cycle your tank prior to placing in your axie? If not, then this may be a bacteria bloom. Which is actually a good thing, but then you should read up on cycling while your axie is already inside the tank.

Tank has been fully cycled for a while now, so I'm not sure about that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back