Illness/Sickness: Gill and foot problems (freaking out please help!!!!!)

Plc98

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have 2 female axies, and I've had them since january of 2012, they are about 5 years old, one is small, at about 5.5 inches (she didn't eat all that much when she was a juvenile), and the other is about 8, I keep them separated for obvious reasons in a 60 gallon tank. I live in New Mexico, and recently we just had a heatwave, and I just got back from a month long vacation, my neighbor watched them as he has done probably 7 times before, however I don't think he knew about the temperature sensitivity of axolotls, and I only just learned that the heatwave took place so I wasn't able to contact him to tell him to begin bringing the temperature down. Anyway, when I got back late yesterday, I took a quick look at my Axies and I don't think I remember anything being wrong with her leg, but I remember noticing that her gills looked a bit funny, but as I had been up for 30-ish hours, it slipped my mind until this morning, when I examined them more closely, and when I did, i saw this:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 104
  • FullSizeRender-7.jpg
    FullSizeRender-7.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 99
  • FullSizeRender-8.jpg
    FullSizeRender-8.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 95
She doesn't seem to be sluggish at all, and I think that the foot problem may be because of an attack from my other axie, as she has been known to traverse the divider from time to time, though not frequently, I'm very worried, and I don't know what I should do, any help is appreciated

follow up: her right foreleg is now completely gone right below the joint, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to make sure she doesn't develop an infection while her foot regrows

Cool, clean water. Lots of nutritious food....earthworms etc.......keep a close eye on her........an Indian almond leaf in the water is mildly antiseptic. And perhaps give her a permanent home of her own so that it can't happen again

It would take about two months for the hand to grow back. So really you just want to monitor there is no infection since the water can be warmer at this time. Given the conditions are perfect, the axolotl just needs to be heal.

However, If you see an infection, which will be a fuzzy thing, then antibiotics is the solution. You can use the Indian almond leaf but I wouldn't put that in the main tank, I would use it in a separate tub since it can affect your cycled water and it also makes the water brown. If almond leaves are not doing enough try this http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...xolotl/99459-axolotl-antibiotic-solution.html

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back