Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger salamander won't come out :(

melgado22

Reaction score
I've had my two tiger salamanders for about 8 months now, one of them is almost always at the surface checking for food while the other one i usually have to dig out. for the last 4 months, he has started staying close to the surface too and waiting for food. this past 2-3 weeks he has been hiding and now i have mature plants with root systems in their tank that i really don't want to disrupt.... will he eventually come up if he's hungry enough or will he starve to death down there if i don't dig him up? my other thought was to make it moist, maybe too moist so he would have to come up for dryer ground but wasn't sure if i could just leave him be and wait...

auntiejude

Reaction score
Sounds about normal. Some tigers just like to stay buried where it is cool and damp. They will come out for food eventually, but we dig ours out if we haven't seen him for about 10 days.

melgado22

Reaction score
so he won't starve himself right? lol thats the only thing id regret is waiting until he came out when instead he just starved and died under ground :(

Teeglor

Reaction score
He will come out when he's hungry. Tigers love to burrow, some more than others. :) Don't worry, unless they are quite ill they won't let themselves starve. Amphibians can go longer without food than a lot of other animals. You can try making him associate spritzing with food so he will come out when you spray. Some say it has worked for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1