Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Urgent Help

bellyache

Reaction score
URGENT HELP

I sold this axolotl to someone 2.5 years ago and he will now be 3 years old. The person contacted me saying it was floating and was pale and decided the best thing was to bring it back to me so I can see if I can help it. Anyway I asked for a pic and am quite shocked at the state of it. Please can someone advise what could be wrong with it?

They will be bring it to me tomorrow so will be able to help it, that is if I can figure out whats wrong with it.

Attachments

• 21515263-859-640x427.jpg
    21515263-859-640x427.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 340
E

Elise

Some additional photos whould help as It's difficult to suggest possible issues from a single image sometimes. Keeping him in clean water will probably sort out a lot of the issues with his appearnce. I'm curious what the discoloration could be at the top of his spine, and if there are issues with his slime coat.

Keep us updated.

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Almost looks like there is an infection on the top of its head....and is it just me or is there some worm thing on the far right that is its food?

With such a large spot, normally I would advise you to take it to a vet, since you sold this one and I am no sure if the new owner wants to pay for a vet, the alternative (and far weaker solution) is pet store bought antibiotics.

bellyache

Reaction score
**UPDATE** 1pm Saturday

well he is now back in my care, in a way it does not seem as bad as the original pic above but he is still bad.

His tail is limp and no longer curved 90 degrees at its tip.

Body is showing its veins and on dorsal fin.

Front left foot been bitten off and regrown but not to its original way.

Both front legs extremely thin, seems like skin and bone and no muscle.

Face is thin

The yellow abcess that was on the pic must have been a trick of light as nothing showing on head.

His gills are extremely short but not something i am worring about.

He is moving his gills and gulping air so seems ok in that respect.

He is floating and limp tail touches bottom.

His stump is all mouldy, cannot figure out how this has happened as it was a sealed joint so no way it should have just suddently beocme infected after all this time unless something happed to it.

The first thing I have done is put him in a tub of fresh clean water then will decide depending on advice on how to procede.

Here are pics and a video I just taken what it looks like now:
https://goo.gl/uTcB5j

Here are pics she gave of what he looked like on 30th May 2015
https://goo.gl/2SkKrZ

Skudo09

Reaction score
He kind of looks a little bloated? I am wondering if there may be a bacterial infection going on? I would probably take him to a vet if possible.

xxianxx

Reaction score
As above plus it looks ammonia burnt. Axolotls with a bacterial infection often show bloating round the throat, can you take a side oic of the head and throat ?

Skudo09

Reaction score
I think it would be worth taking him to a vet if possible. The bloating could be a sign of bacterial infection and may need antibiotic treatment.

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
The wound is turning into an infection. You have to make a decision. Either take it to a vet which they will just give the axie stronger antibiotics (a few days to a week span) or if you choose a the economic option of store bought, weaker antibiotics (10 day span give or take) see this http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...xolotl/99459-axolotl-antibiotic-solution.html

I would not use a salt bath at this stage as his skin looks very thin and that salt baths burns them.

The water in the sick tub needs to be replaced every day with declorinated water. I also agree it is possible the axie has ammonia poisoning as well. Take care of him.

bellyache

Reaction score
unfortunately vet is not an option for me as this is a cost was not planning on as did not expect to get him back. only one vet in area does aquatics and they charge £90 for consultation plus any treatment onto of that

would melafix or primafix be options and what one should i get?

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Most of the antibiotics focus on different things, some are bad for axolotls. Of course most of them also appear to target problems common to fish instead of amphibians. The researchers in the university of California use API E.M. Erythromycin because it is a all well round antibiotic. A friend of mine worked there for a few years when he was studying there and recommended it. They have been using it for many years in the lab which they use to study axolotls

bellyache

Reaction score
He died at 2.10am on Wednesday 15th July 2015

Attachments

• DSCF9381.jpg
    DSCF9381.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCF9388.jpg
    DSCF9388.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 188

bellyache

Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/gordon.in.manchester.uk I know a lot of people could not do this but have just done a necropsy on him. When I cut into him the whole body gave way, it seemed to have been full of air, his stomach was completely empty and his lungs are covered in a yellow dotty stuff, although I am not exerienced in nectropsy or qualified as a vet it looks like his lungs were infected/virus etc... you can see the images for youself and make your own opinions at

https://www.facebook.com/gordon.in.manchester.uk https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z36aje2daluwawm/AADhFZZhwnfcOKObUS_LIrN2a?dl=0&s=so

if anyone knows a vet personally or have facilities to answer questions by email please forward the link above and ask what they think

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
I am sorry you couldn't do more for the little guy. By the time the previous owner passed him to you, it was pretty much at the critical stage with the floating and the infected limb. I am sure you did all in your power to make him feel comfortable. Healing them takes two weeks at least if caught early. You can't race the clock against those odds that were presented to you.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear he didn't make it. I agree he was probably too far gone by the time he was returned to your care. From the pictures, the organ with the yellow blotches looks like the liver rather than lungs. It doesn't look healthy at all. I dare say there was serious infection going on. I am not a vet though.

bellyache

Reaction score
it was sad to see it die as he was one of my babies.
it turned out the person had a heater in the tank and the liver was bad when necropsy. it turned out it had a bad infection and the contageous fish TB brought on by the heat and other factors i am not sure of as owner was extremely vague and refused to answer questions i had

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1