Creating Melanoids

Possum63

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Jess
Hi

Here in NZ, melanoids don't exist. Is it possible for me to create them? If so how please?

Thanks.

In theory, it is pretty simple. In practice, it is probably incredibly difficult. You would have to selectively breed wild types to be darker and darker over many generations. You would probably also have to inbreed them and cross them out to other color morphs to select the individuals that actually carry the genes you're looking for and remove the ones you don't want from your gene pool. It would be quite an undertaking and its possible you might create ones that use different genes to create the black coloration.

Sorry STCxB - you've got it wrong I'm afraid.

'Melanoid' is a distinct recessive genetic trait, you cannot create one unless the genes are there in the first place. An animal needs to receive one gene from each parent to express the melanoid traits. If the genes aren't there in the parents the offspring wil never be melanoid.

The melanoid genes mean that an animal can't produce iridophores and produce fewer xanthaphores, making it grey or black.

Ah, that's interesting. I assumed it was something that was selected for by breeding darker wild types to each other. In theory you could create a "black" or very dark axolotl that isn't "melanoid" by using the approach I described though?

In theory you could create a "black" or very dark axolotl that isn't "melanoid" by using the approach I described though?
Yes. Black and gold wildtypes are loveley - mottled black with gold iridophores.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back