Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Planted Axolotl Tank

Possum63

Reaction score
Please post photos of your planted axolotl tank (liveplants only) as I would like some inspiration to switch up my tank. Ta

allied123

Reaction score
I'd love to know what kind of lighting people use too! I'd like to have lights and plants but I fear without eyelids (and being albino) the axolotls wouldn't appreciate it as much as I would...

xxianxx

Reaction score
I'd love to know what kind of lighting people use too! I'd like to have lights and plants but I fear without eyelids (and being albino) the axolotls wouldn't appreciate it as much as I would...

The light is for the benefit of the plants, in a heavily planted tank the light gets blocked by the plants so its shaded at the bottom. I use t5 flourescent tubes and led strip lighting ktemp 7500, its ideal for the job.

STCxB

Reaction score
Here's a picture of my planted tank I have lots of Java fern, hair grass (I think that's what it is), some unidentified plant in the middle, and some water lily bulbs that I'm hoping grow.

I'm currently using some 18" GE brand F15T8 plant and aquarium bulbs but I just ordered two 24" Zoo Med AquaSun LED lights so hopefully the tank will be a tad cooler and I'll save a little money on electricity. I have lots of plants and little caves and shelves and stuff all around my tank so they move between dark and light areas as they please. They don't seem bothered by the lights which I have on for 12 hrs each day

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,236
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,119
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1