How do they look?

axolittles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Http://imgur.com/a/DQko4

Link to album

My new babies (our first axolotls ever) just got transferred into their new 20 gallon home after spending about a week in a temporary 5 gallon while we shopped. :)

The water is all new and dechlorinated and I transferred the plants and fake plants from their 5 gal to the 20. They have a solo cup and a mug as a temporary hide while I shop for river rocks and ceramics. Tank cycling wasn't really a thing for us, regrettably. We didn't know about it before we got them, and they weren't in the 5 gal long enough for anything to take, so we just did daily 80% water changes and hopefully this tank will cycle gently with them in it.

They're eating well! They like bloodworms, earthworms, and pellets well enough.

I'm running a brand new Aqueon QuietFlow 20 that I baffled with a water bottle and a sponge to keep the movement down, but I think it may still be a little strong, so I want to buy a professional baffle ASAP.

To keep them cool (it was a bit warm when we did the tank swap, which is why the thermo is a tad high in the photos) we have a large fan directly above the tank, evaporating constantly. It moves the surface of the water some, but nothing on the bottom seems to be swaying or wiggling, so I think it's just surface motion.

Tank is holding steady at 68 degrees at the moment, which may not be ideal, but I think these axies are used to relatively higher temps. (The breeder we got them from kept his house warm and didn't have a cooler on them at all! D: They were just on his floor. He said they've been kept at around 72 degrees since they were born)

Overall, anything I can improve on?

They're beautiful!

In terms of immediate things to improve on, you're working on more hides, but remember to make them dark and cosy. The white-lined things they have won't make them feel sheltered and safe, it's still quite bright in there.

Mine hide in the tiniest, gloomiest spots of the tank, I assume they feel they can't be seen by eagles or something :)

Other than that, get a water testing kit if you don't already have one, and carefully monitor the tank while it cycles.

A bit of movement on the top of the water isn't a bad thing - yes, they don't like flowing water but water that is TOO still will stagnate.

No matter what you think they are used to, keep an eye on the temperature and keep it low.

Sounds like you're already feeding them well! Mine also live on both earthworms and pellets :)

Congratulations on your new buddies - they're gorgeous and will give you many, many hours of entertainment!

They're beautiful!

In terms of immediate things to improve on, you're working on more hides, but remember to make them dark and cosy. The white-lined things they have won't make them feel sheltered and safe, it's still quite bright in there.

Mine hide in the tiniest, gloomiest spots of the tank, I assume they feel they can't be seen by eagles or something :)

Other than that, get a water testing kit if you don't already have one, and carefully monitor the tank while it cycles.

A bit of movement on the top of the water isn't a bad thing - yes, they don't like flowing water but water that is TOO still will stagnate.

No matter what you think they are used to, keep an eye on the temperature and keep it low.

Sounds like you're already feeding them well! Mine also live on both earthworms and pellets :)

Congratulations on your new buddies - they're gorgeous and will give you many, many hours of entertainment!

Thanks for the tips!! I'll be sure to get some dark hides together. And I'll sink the temp even more if I can. :O

Thanks so much. I'm so excited to finally have them in their tank and all set up and happy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back