Axies don't breed

matias

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi everyone, I have two 2 1/2 yo axolotls and they do not breed. The male's cloaca has grown excessively the last 2 months and the female got fat, really fat, but last three days she is getting thiner. their claws became white even. water temperature is about 4C right now (last 6 days was between 3-6C), they're outdoor in a 250 liters container. why don't they reproduce???? i really want to breed them

They won't breed at that temperature, you need to wait until spring.

They won't breed at that temperature, you need to wait until spring.

ow, I see. But I read that if you drop water's temperature they should breed. last year the female had sexual features but the male didn't, and I thought the male was a female. now the male's cloaca became big so I asume it is a he.

Its the drop in temp followed by warming up that triggers breeding - simulates the coming of spring and increasing food availability.

What is the best water temp for breeding and are there safe limits for keeping them? I currently have four I have raised from eggs, possibly two pairs now two years old. I may move them into fish house in winter but conscious of temps as will obviously be trying to keep consistent. Would a cold water change in spring trigger breeding as it does with some fish?

Well, last and current weeks' temperatures rised (like 20C maximum, and 7 minimum). Yesterday I found my axie laying eggs, I took them away, this morning I found more. She layed lots of eggs. before the spawn she was extremely fat (i was worried even) but know she is more normal, but still a little fat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back