Question: How do you feed an axolotl brine shrimp

Day

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried to feed my axolotl brine shrimp but it gets to messy and it's hard to clean the left overs out of the tank. I do hand feed them with the turkey baster.

How big is your axie? And are you feeding live or frozen brineshrimp?

If your axie is over 3" brineshrimp really isn't suitable. Frozen brineshrimp or daphnia makes a real mess anyway.

Hi. I raised my axolotles from eggs using newly hatched brine shrimp then moved them onto live white worm and frozen bloodworm. I continue to feed this but also give the fish food sticks available from TA-Aquaculture. A range is available including black worm from California also bloodworm earthworm and brine shrimp. My four love them and eagerly snap them up

Have you tried to siphon the mess with a long tube once its settled on the bottom of the tank? Its an easy way to clean up left over food and mess :)

I recently switched to frozen bloodworms. OMG so much easier to clean.
Another quick question though. Umm. Since I have fish/reptiles in my room besides the Axolotl (betta, newt, and red wag platy) I accidentally put the slime coat in the axolotl water (i was cleaning all of their tanks and wasnt paying attention to the water conditioning bottles). What is gonna happen to the axolotl? Should dump the water out?

The slime coat should not hurt the axolotl. It does add extra biomass that is not needed. It will make your filter work more. I wouldn't use it again for axolotls. Just do your normal water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back