Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mixi has fungus?

Hanna09

Reaction score
Hello!

I know this should go under the sickness threads, but I figured I would get more feedback here.

So as I got ready to get my girlie out for a full tank clean out, I noticed she has some distressing gills situation going on :( I have a few photos attached. They are not great.

One side of her gills is worse than the other, most of the filiments are gone, and she has white chunks, if you will on them(both sides.) The opposite side is still full, but looks filmy, with a few having fluffy looking white tips.

I would like to stay away from a salt bath at all costs, but need help.

I will say I haven't been keeping up on her tank, and feel horrible, as I feel I caused this :'( I am hoping it will disappear with a water change done, old sand removed, and a new filter cartridge put in.

Much Thanks in ADVANCE!

-Hanna

Attachments

• IMAG1541.jpg
    IMAG1541.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Snapchat-3868299887360317529.jpg
    Snapchat-3868299887360317529.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 159

Skudo09

Reaction score
Did you take readings of the parameters before the water change? If so, what were the parameters? Also, to check, when you replaced the filter cartridge, Did you leave the old one in so it can transfer some of the good bacteria to the new cartridge? If not, replacing the cartridge and sand may cause disruption to the cycle by removing to much of the good bacteria and so the cycle may crash. I would closely monitor the parameters.

For treatment options for fungus, you may find this thread useful http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-axolotl-general-discussion/96018-fungus.html

It may be good to transfer her to a tub of fresh, clean, dechlorinated water and do 100% water changes daily so you can closely monitor her and clean water will help with recovery. Having a second tub of pre-prepared water kept next to the tub will make it easier so you can simply transfer her to the clean tub each day, dispose of the old water and re-fill with fresh dechlorinated water ready for the next day. You can tip the old water into the tank to help feed the tank's cycle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1