Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank wont cylce

Ammurrica

Reaction score
Hello i began cycling my tank 11 days ago, i dechlorinated all the water then proceded to test that the levels were ok and added 4ppm of ammonia to get the cycle started, well the cycle is not starting the ammonia has not gone down and nitrites have stayed steadily at 0 i have a filter creating air bubbles which i saw was suppose to help it, i also took about 1/3 of the water out and replaced it with more dechlorinated water incase the ammonia was too much because 8ppm and 4ppm look similar on the chart, anyways im not sure what to do. my tank is at about 61 degress and i saw its best for this to keep the water at 80ish degress, that is the only thing i have not done that was reccomended, even so it said that the tank could be cycled at 60 degress. so im wondering if there is something im doing wrong because i need to get my tank cycled so my baby axo can get into his new home. thanks!

auntiejude

Reaction score
You need to be patient. Cycling takes several weeks, its a slow process to colonise the filter with bacteria and grow them to the quantities needed to keep a tank healthy.
You may not see much progress in the first week or so, but by week 3 you should start to ser nitrites, then nitrates at week 5-6.

cabbysarus

Reaction score
It took me a couple months to get my tank cycled :) keep your chin up, it'll get there

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1