Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Bloated P watl

anachronism

Reaction score
Hi, my female newt, Kensi is bloated. I thought she was getting ready to lay eggs but tonight shes not able to hold herself in the water properly.

I have moved her to a plastic tank with a little bit of fresh dechlorinated water in so she doesnt dry out. Her tank mate is completely normal.

I feel so bad for not realising she was ill earlier :( I have only had them both around six weeks. They have a filter and get weekly water changes of 1/3 to 1/2 with water that is aged and a dechlorinator used.

I want to speak to my vet tomorrow to see if they have any newt experience (they have exotic experience and are very good) but realistically is there much they can do?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like a blockage of some kind, is it possible she could have eaten any substrate like bits of gravel with her food?
It might help if you could post a pic of her.

anachronism

Reaction score
I have them on no substrate so theres nothing really they could of got blocked with I don't think.

They came with some floating plants but they ended up mostly in the filter so I removed them.

Feeling so bad that I might of made her ill some how :(

Have enclosed a picture she looks terrible :(

Attachments

• DSCF3295.jpg
    DSCF3295.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 699

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That looks very serious. Kidney failure can cause symptoms like that, but there are other things as well. I'd be taking it to a vet as soon as possible if it were mine.

anachronism

Reaction score
That looks very serious. Kidney failure can cause symptoms like that, but there are other things as well. I'd be taking it to a vet as soon as possible if it were mine.

She will be going tomorrow, I wil be ringing as soon as they open. Hoping they have seen a newt before. Honestly though, I am expecting they will euthanise her :(

Doomus

Reaction score
Poor girl get her to a vet asap if it's a parasite or disease it might be treatable but realistically for as bad as that looks I would ready for the worst and think about euthanasia if I were in your shoes :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What have you been feeding it? In the picture it looks like it has a wound. What is that red dot?

anachronism

Reaction score
What have you been feeding it? In the picture it looks like it has a wound. What is that red dot?

The red dot is a piece of coir, the tank shes in now had some in previously and I must of missed a few bits, there is no wounds on her.

She has been fed on pollywog newt pellets and earthworms, earlier in her time here she also had a slug or two and a couple of waxworms In their previous home they had earthworms too.

She is booked in at the vets this afternoon, it was the earliest they could see her. They haven't seen a newt before but are happy to take information that I can gather in regards to treating her

I will be taking information about salt baths and the causes of bloat, and also recommended euthanisia dosages but can anyone else suggest anything else that I could ask for e.g certain antibiotics or treatments.

anachronism

Reaction score
An update for anyone following the thread

Kensi saw the vet and we were trying saline baths to try and lessen the fluid. Sadly after seeming to brighten up a bit, Kensi passed away some time in the night

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1