Can't find pure ammonia ANYWHERE!!!

Icyriah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Saskia
I have yet to find pure ammonia anywhere! What brands do you use for your fishless cycling because I can't find a straight answer on the extra ingredients in it being unsafe >:O I'm getting closer and closer to beginning my cycle so it's ready for my college move, and although I only work 3 hours a day, I do work 6 hours a week and I'm currently car shopping as well. If you have any help, it would be amazing and greatly appreciated!

I used the Always Save brand that I found at a locally owned grocery store and everything worked at planned. I'm pretty sure the Walmart brand and all that I found at Lowes had surfactants (the bad stuff) listed on the label. I also looked up a dollar store brand (no idea what it was) and even though it didn't list surfactants other aquarium forums said it actually did contain them.

Yeah the ones around here all had surfectants in them :S I don't really know where else to look, but I'll try and see if I have some time to go look for some.

I've found that smaller hardware stores (not big chains like Lowe's or Home Depot) sometimes carry pure ammonia. In Canada we have a small chain that carries a brand called Old Fashioned. I spent a long time on the internet looking for it. If you can find shops that sell industrial cleaning supplies, you might find some pure ammonia at one of those.

I had the same problem as you when recently starting my fishless cycle and I finally found some pure ammonia at ACE Hardware. They sell it in big bottles for like $3.

I live in Idaho (Boise) also and had the same problem. I finally found it at ACE Hardware and here is what the correct one looks like.

Attachments

• 1437876641996-1238437351.jpg
    1437876641996-1238437351.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 814
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back