Salt bath and Constipation

Hoagii

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Leah
I'm very worried about my little Fozz. She has a gill fungus that I can't seem to get rid of, but the salt baths are really stressing her out. Is it possible for salt baths and stress to cause GI upset? This is the second time in a week she has acted constipated after a bath.

The first time (I'm ashamed to say) I added a little to much salt to the bath. She swam around with her tail in the air and had diarrhea the following day. Tonight I gave her her second bath in 24hrs (I'd been doing every other day) and when I moved her back she started arching her back with her tail in the air and her little cloaca pooched out like she's trying to poop. SHe was acting completely normal before the bath.

Is this all typical? I'm afraid I'm doing more harm than good :'( I just want her stupid fungus to go away!

Axies don't like salt baths, they sometimes react like kids taking nasty tasting medicine. GI upset isn't common, but not unheard of.

Have you tried a gentler treatment? Indian almond leaves, tea baths, untreated water baths are all a little kinder than salt baths.

Thanks for the reply! I'd love to try something gentler on her. Can you link me to instructions on the different kinds of baths? I want to do everything right.

The picture in my avatar is old; Fozz is fully grown. And the salt bath instructions pinned here said I could bathe her as often as every twelve hours, so what is wrong wth going every other day?

You can always try a weaker salt bath solution and add more time to how long Fozz is in there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back