Question: Going away for a week and need to figure out what to feed axolotl

SarahSaur

Reaction score
Country
Canada
About a month ago the temp spiked in my 20 gallon tank. I moved it into the basement but because I had to take so much water out it crashed my water cycle. Because of all this its only now that Loki is eating normally now and shes a bit under weight which really scares me because she's always been a little on the small side.

Loki is about a year and a half old and like I said, a little smaller than most axolotl's. I'd say she's about 6" but still growing. I feed her small pieces of earthworm and frozen bloodworms.

Now for the question. I'm going away in 8 days for a week to go camping for 7 days.
I can get my mom to feed Loki while I'm gone but my mom is not comfortable cutting up the earthworms. She said she'll drop them into the tank but that's it lol.
I don't think bloodworms are the best idea because theyre messy and I want there to be as little clean up as possible for my mom.

I'm thinking maybe pellets? I have enough time to slowly get Loki accustomed to them, I just have no idea at all where to get them and within 7 days. Is there any pellets or anything from Petsmart that I could pick up and would be good enough for a week while I'm away?

You need to get Loki to take whole small earthworms, and to hunt for them instead of being hand fed. You need to cut out the pellets and bloodworms, and just start dropping worms in for her - she should get the hang of it quite quickly.

Make sure you change the water before you go, let your mum know how many worms to feed per day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back