Floating axolotl, has been in the fridge for months

yt1300

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone, I have a sick axolotl that started floating upside down about two months ago. I have been fridging him ever since (I've followed all the instructions, he gets water changes daily), but he is still floating and is becoming very skinny. About two weeks ago, he pooped a little bit, and this allowed him to start floating on one side rather than upside down, but he is still floating and I am concerned that he is going to die of starvation before he clears whatever has him blocked up (BTW, the substrate of his normal tank is sand, so there is no gravel or other small objects that he could have swallowed). I have not been feeding him while he is in the fridge to avoid further compaction. Also, there is no sign of a fungus or other external infection.

What should I do? I'm concerned that he won't live much longer int he fridge. Should I try feeding him? I've found a few people who have suggested that if fridging isn't working, I should just put it back it in its original tank so that it will be warm enough to want to eat. Do you all agree?

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

If he's been in the fridge for 2 months and it hasn't helped I'd personally put him back in the tank and try to feed. He probably won't eat in the fridge, it will be too cold.

Is the tank cycled with him not being in there for so long? What food is he on?

Pictures may also help if you can get some.

The tank was thoroughly cleaned when he first appeared sick, and it has been left set up with the filter running the entire time that he has been in the fridge. He shares the tank with a Leopard Ctenopoma who has continued to inhabit it in his absence. They have been together for a long time and have never caused problems for each other. They even both eat the same food. On that note, his usual diet is carnivore pellets, which (before he was sick) he ate readily. I've tried supplementing his diet with earth worms, but he wants nothing to do with those (regardless of whether I chop them up or offer him the whole worm).

Generally it is advised not to mix species with axolotls. From the small research I have done, leopard ctenapoma are tropical fish and prefer much warmer water to axolotls so they should not mix given it is not possible to keep both species in their ideal parameters. Also, from what I have read, they may pick on fish smaller than them. I would be concerned that it may pick on or cause damage to the axolotl. Especially if it is a male as they have nasty spikes. I would strongly recommend not keeping the fish with the axolotl and also find a more appropriate home for the fish more suited to its needs. I understand you have kept them together for a long time without issue but regardless, I believe it best for both species to be separated so you can provide both their ideal living conditions.

How was the tank cleaned out? It is probably best to check the parameters to ensure the cycle is still in place.

I know it is generally not a good idea to keep other animals with axolotls, but I spent a lot of time talking to the guys at the fish store (who have a lot of experience with both species) before putting them together, I made sure that the fish was large enough that the axolotl would leave him alone, etc., and, like I said, they have both been together since they were babies and have gotten along fine and never caused problems for each other. All of which is beside the point because the fish clearly isn't the problem. The problem is that my axolotl is floating on his side, so I would appreciate it if people focused on the problem at hand, thanks.

Regarding cleaning the tank, I did a nearly complete water exchange and stripped the filter and gave it a thorough cleaning.

I was trying to focus on the axolotl....but trying to work out what temperature you were keeping them both alive at....seeing as one likes cold and one warm water! It could therefore be relevant to the current health of your ax.

I try to keep it in the high 60s or low 70s, which I know is a bit warm for axolotls, but its hot during the summer where I live, and there is not a whole lot I can do to keep the tank cooler.

He is not likely to eat in the fridge and given he has been in there for so long without improvement I would remove him from the fridge as Beks as suggested. Take him out but be sure to let him slowly acclimatise so he doesn't get too much shock from sudden temperature change. Check the parameters as well to ensure they are all good and the cycle is still in place as good water conditions will aid in recovery.

To cool the tank. you could try some clip on fans and a mesh lid rather than a closed hood lid (not sure what you have already). You could also try wrapping some damp towels around the outside of the tank. The temperature of the tank is not ideal but could be worse. It would be best though to get it below 20Celsius for the axolotl. However, this is going to compromise the welfare of your fish further. By making the temperature more suited to your axolotl, you are then taking the fish further out of its ideal temperature requirements. You simply cannot keep these species together without compromising their health and welfare regardless of them getting along. Just the different temperature requirements is enough reason to separate them as you cannot meet both species temperature requirements.

You positive you don't think there is any bacteria infections? I would suggest using antibiotics but you want to do things one at a time for this little guy.

Not sure if your axie is still constipated but two weeks without poop is worth noting. You said you had the axie for a long time so I assume it is an adult.

First I would move the axie in a sick tub and out of the fridge and make sure it can touch the surface. Wave food in front of it when feeding to prompt it to eat. Or if not force feed at this point. A skinny axolotl can't fight anything off. Although axie can forget the concept of eating regularly if they have not being eating. So first get it eat.

I would force it to poop too see this http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...58-axolotl-conspitation-medical-solution.html

It sounds cruel but you gotta jumpstart that axie.

You positive you don't think there is any bacteria infections? I would suggest using antibiotics but you want to do things one at a time for this little guy.
/QUOTE]

You could always try a tea bath or putting Indian Almond Leaves in the water.

As for food have you tried blood worms? It's worth ruling out diet as the problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back