Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Bent axolotl, nearly paralysed in rear, been fridged for 6 weeks

wigsgiw

Reaction score
My albino female axolotl has been ill for the past 2 or so months. She went into the fridge about 6 weeks ago, and though I've seen a little improvement, it's been so long now that I need to get some external advice.

I noticed about 9 weeks ago that she was starting to get distended, and was starting to curl to one side. At it's most extreme, when she tried to move, she'd be severely bent to the right, with one side much larger than the other. It was like the muscles on her right hand side were contracting extremely severely, and were made worse when trying to move - imagine a cramped muscle contracting.

She had the dreaded bent tip of the tail. She'd "hop" as she couldn't move her back legs, using her tail and front legs to try and propel herself around. It was as if she was paralysed from the tail down, and was bent from just in front of her rear legs. She was still eating, but she wasn't pooping from what I could see.

She also lives with her brother, who is a very sprightly chap, though extremely snappy with the mouth. During this time, he managed to get a hold of her front left leg and tore a fair amount of skin (criss-cross cuts up just past elbow). I immediately chose to fridge her then in the hopes for quick healing of these skin wounds, and to try and resolve her bent body. That was 6 weeks ago.

She's pooping, and is still eating regularly. I keep things to a once-per-week small feeding of "Axolotl Tucker" which is the best food to get for axy's in New Zealand. She's pooping about once a week or so as well while refrigerated.

Water parameters for the tank she came from are overall good regarding ammonia and nitirates, however nitrates were probably a bit high immediately before she got sick (since resolved). PH is ~ 6.4. Is a well-established tank with a good canister filter. Tank substrate is sand.

So. She's now showing slight signs of improvement in terms of body shape, and she doesn't appear to be in constant pain and having full contractions of the right-hand-side muscles, however she still has a severe bent tail tip. When she gets jumpy during a water change, she's unable to use both of her rear legs properly, and can't swim with her tail correctly. She still curls heavily to the right, and just can't use her body properly. She tries to move with her front legs. One of her back legs still moves, but it appears to "switch" from front to back, as opposed to being used correctly.

Overall, behaviour is still extremely concerning, though no where near as severe as she when she went into the fridge. I suspect that much of her more relaxed body is due to just being in the fridge overall.

Below is a terrible quality image - as she's always in the dark, she can panic when there is light, and it's very disturbing to see (not the most conducive to getting a photo). I can supply better quality images if needed, but if this is enough for some opinions or even diagnosis, then that'd be great.

GXHOzUA.jpg

I'm not sure about finding a good vet here in New Zealand for axolotls, and I really hope that someone will have some insights. Gaf and I will thank you for any help that you can provide!

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
It could take 3-4 months for an axie to regrow a leg so I would imagine it does take time to repair a spine. Just keep doing what you are doing. You said it is still pooping and eating regularly so that is good.

Remember axolotls can even regenerate parts of its brain back. Good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!