Time for name that larvae!

zomper

Reaction score
Country
United States
My kids call her Sally, but we would really like to find out the type of salamander she is. We caught her while scooping wood frog tadpoles in massachussets and one of the kids noticed a tadpole with gills. She has grown a lot, currently around 7cm with large red gills and eats black worms like a champ! I think she is a mole salamander probably a spotted or marbled based on her size and that she's pretty stout. Can anyone confirm this? Attaching some photos.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 300
Here is another photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 228
I'm not sure, it kinda looks like a Red Spotted Newt out of eft, I'd look up a Lizard type chart though. As long as she's happy you'll be fine though. ?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Wait, that looks like an Axolotl!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

She was found in an area where there are a lot of red spotted, but from what I've read she's about three times the size of when a red spotted goes through metamorphosis. Plus she doesn't have the line through her pupil which is normally an indicator. It would be cool if she was a colored Axolotyl. ;). It will be fun to see what she turns into

I suspect you may have an Ambystoma, possibly maculatum. It looks very much like my larvae.

Thanks for the reply! I definitely can see some spotted salamander qualities in her. The kids are getting used to seeing her beg for food as a larvae. I'm worried she will just hide in her burrow once she goes through metamorphosis. Any tips for allowing them to burrow while still having visibility? Also do you know how long on average until metamorphosis? We are going on three months currently. Appreciate the knowledge and advice!

Almost time for metamorphosis. I think...

Fairly certain I have an A. Maculatum larvae. It's lost most of its gills over the last day and is gulping air pretty constantly. She is @ 3 inches long snout to tail now. Attached is a pic from last week and I will follow up with pictures now. Any ideas how long until metamorphosis? Let me know if I'm wrong about it being A. Maculatum as well. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 237
Re: Almost time for metamorphosis. I think...

And here she is today...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 216

One more pic from today...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 257

One more...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 220

This is just me, and I could be as wrong as could be, but the larvae looks like Ambystoma opacum, or the marbled salamander. I believe that spotted salamanders have black tail tips? Correct me if I'm wrong BTW

EDIT: Spotted have the same type of tail color, so I do not know

Now I'm stumped!

So I though Sally was morphing into an A. Maculatum or an A. Opacum but now she is getting tiny white dots all over that don't look like either :). Any idea what she may be? Possibly a blue spotted? I think I may be a little confused. Thanks in advance for any help! I will post pix.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 183
Re: Now I'm stumped!

Detail of her tail...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 189

When Opacum morphs, they don't have adult coloration immediately. I'll try to find some pictures of a morphing Opacum

Thanks! The tiny spots are confusing me :)

Could you add a picture of the whole mysterious animal please :)

I've merged all the posts together now so we can see the development in one spot .

Last edited:
Thanks! It's really cool to see the entire journey. I'm attaching en entire body view. I was trying for close ups because sometimes people post pix from too far away :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 192
Looking at the glands on the back of the head/neck, I think it's either a spotted salamander, blue spotted salamander, or jefferson's salamander

Here is a better pic of the entire body. She has been sitting in her log with her head out of the water. Doesn't seem to be in a hurry to stay out of the water permanently. At what point do you remove them from the water? Do they sometimes stay semi-aquatic? Her tank is currently about an inch of water with a half submerged log that she hides in. Doesn't sit on top of it yet... She is 3 inches long now btw

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 186
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back