Red Spotted Newt

Hamboz

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently got a Red Spotted Newt from the wild and gave it a nice big habitat it is happy with, but I can't get it's attention to feed it. I used to handle him a lot but after I learned that's bad I stopped. Anyway, how do I get him to eat? I'm trying to feed him Waxworms which is what Wiki, and any forums I find say. Any help?

BTW, he's in Eft stage.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1438228939099.jpg

Fruit flies. You can get a jar of them from Petco or Petsmart. The newt looks to be a large eft, so you could also try night crawlers, just cut pieces about a 1/4 inch long or smaller

Add a population of springtails and/or dwarf isopods to the enclosure. Vitamin dusted fruit flies should be offered as they hold the vitamin supplements well. You could also offer white worms as well as garden worms provided you can be sure no pesticides were used where you collect the worms.

JBear

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back