Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

3D Aquarium From Something Besides Foam and Concrete

STCxB

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I made a 3D background for my 55 gallon aquarium a few months back and it decided today that it wanted to float away. It was a large overhang with a piece that came down to the floor of the aquarium and was attached to the sides and bottom with aquarium sealant.

This is the second foam and cement background that has floated away on me despite generous amounts of cement and I want to try something new. Has anyone used any other materials for this, maybe fiberglass? I'm looking to make something that will hopefully be less buoyant than foam. Any help is appreciated!

Corbin

STCxB

Reaction score
I found a method that allows you can turn styrofoam back into its original plastic by using acetone to melt it down. At this point it becomes quite pliable and cures within 24 hrs to a solid plastic. I'm going to see what can be done with this approach and if it works hopefully make something coated in a spray enamel and sand to replace my ruined piece.

Katrinamazing

Reaction score
I'm definitely following this thread... I have been Googling and YouTubing this topic like a madwoman! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

:wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1