Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New at this!

dmelt

Reaction score
Hi!

So I live just outside of the St. Louis area. My in laws have some wooded property 2 hours south of St. Louis. My father in law was telling me how they use to find salamanders when he was a kid. I have two daughters 7 and 6 and it sounded like fun to us. In 45 minutes we found 9 salamanders of 3 different species. Some of the most fun my daughters and I have had! Long story short we love salamanders. My father in law found eggs in a vernal pool and brought me some. Boy I wish I knew what I was getting ready to take on. I kept 5 that hatched. Finding food initially was tough, but I have lots of mosquito larvae now. Unfortunately I only have one left(learned some lessons the hard way). These might be the coolest creatures on the planet. I believe these are spotted salamanders, but I will post those questions in the proper areas. I wish I would of found this site much sooner. Look forward to the help! Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!