Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another fire belly newt owner.

Hunter82

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm Tommy.

I'm from Hamilton in Scotland and my wife and I recently bought a Chinese fire belly newt as our son's first pet (he's named him Yoshi). We wanted a newt anyway, so an early birthday present was the perfect excuse to finally get one! :D

He's housed in a 40 litre aquarium (slightly larger than 10 gallons) and thankfully he seems perfectly at ease in his new habitat. We've fed him four out of the five days we've had him and he seems to have a very healthy appetite: he's eaten defrosted bloodworms, brine shrimp and chopped up earthworms (hand-fed with tweezers). He also seems content exploring and rooting around in his aquarium. Bizarrely, he seems to enjoy sitting on top of the filter - he appears to like the vibration and often has his tail hanging over the water outlet!

Attachments

• yoshi1.jpg
    yoshi1.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 152
  • yoshi2.jpg
    yoshi2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 141

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Welcome! I would also make sure that the gravel is a size not to be swallowed, because these have a habit of becoming impacted by the gravel. Nice setup though, and once again, welcome!

Hunter82

Reaction score
Thanks for the welocome, guys. I've been lurking on the site for a while, doing some research prior to buying our newt. The care sheet was one of the first things I read! :D

I really have to say, this site is a fantastic resource for people new to keeping amphibians.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!