Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Beyond Frustrated with Ammonia issue!

AnalogHedgehog

Reaction score
Ok, so brief background:

This is my first large tank. I am still learning all the ins and outs, but I did a ton of research before hand and felt pretty confident until now. I fully cycled my tank prior to getting my axies. Ammonia and Nitrites were zeroed out and there were a few nitrates.

Everything went great when I got them, but I cleaned a little too much (my fault) and changed the filters (which I learned later was about the dumbest thing I could do) and the ammonia level spiked. I did daily 25% water changes, but the ammonia level kept rising. I was afraid for my lotl's health so I removed them from the tank and they are currently happy as can be in our guest bathtub (they are still pretty small).

So I go and talk with a guy at a local aquarium store and he says to just let it be and it will cycle. Fast forward a few days and the ammonia levels just keep going up. I'm so glad I removed my little ones because that ammonia level is now reading an insane 8 ppm!

I don't know what to do anymore. Should I just leave it and hope it cycles? Should I just empty the whole thing out, completely rinse out the tank and start over? I think there is still a little bit of axie poo (though I tried to get as much out as I could) as well as a couple ghost shrimp somewhere in the tank. It is a 55 gallon. I just bought a much better filter, I'm hoping that will help.

And don't worry about my axies. They get frquent water changes and have been getting blackworms treats in addition to their normal bloodworms. While I think they miss their tank, they don't seem stressed at all by their new temporary home.

Help me please!

keiko

Reaction score
Basically you need to cycle your tank again. It will probably be a bit faster than last time since there probably still are some bacteria left in there that just need to multiply. Since the ammonia is so high there must be an ammonia source in the tank (poop, leftover food etc.), but it's fine since it just means you don't need to keep adding ammonia. Usually it's recommended though to keep the ammonia at about 4 ppm, so you could do a water change to bring it down a bit. Then just wait for it to cycle again. Keep the axies in the tub with frequent water changes while the tank cycles. And the shrimp are probably already dead because of the ammonia.

AnalogHedgehog

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reply! Amazingly the shrimp are still alive.....at least one of them, I just saw him on one of the plants. What would you recommend for the amount of water to change?

jamessamlev

Reaction score
You can buy artificial moss balls for turtles and if you add 1 moss ball per 10 gallons it should help keep it down, not sure how much they cost though, change the balls every 2 months

keiko

Reaction score
If the ammonia is 8 ppm at the moment, a 50% water change would bring it down to 4 ppm. So max 50% water change I'd say. It doesn't have to be exactly 4ppm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1