Too much light in my tank?/Housing friends

Amcgilbery

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys so I moved my Californian newt to all terrestrial set up, as I had read they don't like too much water, and from personal experiences my newt doesn't seem interested in water, but I have a lighting set up(an old 10 gallon fish tank light) and I fear that it may be too bright for my newt. He's never been crazy active and I have read that they are just a generally inactive species, but I fear that the light may be deterring him from doing any sort of activity. So I was wondering if these creatures were light sensitive and also maybe heat sensitive? (He is kept in my air conditioned room all day) Also I was wondering if getting him another animal would make him feel more safe in there, I used to have two of the newts but unfortunately one got of the tank and passed away and since then it seems my newt has been less active, any help or suggestions would make appreciated. Thank you ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439566506.911165.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Amcgilbery,

Are you sure he is a California newt? If you post some pictures i could tell you for sure and also potentially sex him for you.

Your setup looks pretty good to me, however i do think that may be too much light. How long are you leaving the light on? As for their aquatic habits, they breed once a year, so a aquatic phase ( if this is a female ) is necessary so she can expel eggs. If he is a male, then i don't know if it is necessary but he might enjoy it. This species is usually considered semi aquatic. Also, as for temperature, i would recommend keeping it below 75 F. Also, adding some more hides would be ideal, some cork pieces, stacked rocks or propped up rocks, bark etc.. As for adding a second animal, no, i don't think adding another animal would make him feel more safe....Unless it was his own species it could very possibly make him stressed. If you want another newt of his species you would have to upgrade tanks, as well.

Here is a care sheet on this species, it should help you out a bit :) Caudata Culture Species Entry - Taricha torosa -Seth

I know he is a male Californian for sure but I was thinking he was sensitive to that light, the tank however is restricted when it comes to hides because of the limited space I have in the ten gallon tank, I've been trying to figure if I should get rid of his water dish or not as he never uses it but I would still like him to have the option if he wants to, what wattage do you recommend for him?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439613997.989132.jpg

And I'm sorry I posted an old picture of his tank this is what it now looks like ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439614405.903229.jpg

I think leaving the water dish in there would be good, better for him to have the option.
Is that second picture the amount of light that's in there now? If so, then that's fine.
I would recommend maybe a single incandescent bulb, maybe like a 40 watt. Try placing it above the tank a bit, so it casts a more natural light rather than a concentrated area of light. Or you could use a "frosted" T10 40 watt tube light, they put out less light and so you could put it directly on top of the tank.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439671030.696069.jpg
I'm sorry this is the lighting that I have for him, it is a light for a ten gallon fish tank. I will definitely look into getting some more suitable lights for him, thank you for the help!

I think leaving the water dish in there would be good, better for him to have the option.

Is that second picture the amount of light that's in there now? If so, then that's fine.

I would recommend maybe a single incandescent bulb, maybe like a 40 watt. Try placing it above the tank a bit, so it casts a more natural light rather than a concentrated area of light. Or you could use a "frosted" T10 40 watt tube light, they put out less light and so you could put it directly on top of the tank.

f6b771b1cf592d08416aa60d327ea119.jpg
056508517a251b31693b29a177a91837.jpg

Update: I purchased deep dome light with a stand and got this bulb for the Uvb that it offers hopefully this will encourage him to be more active without the harsh light anymore thanks for the help ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back