Bait Worms for my Axolotl

HeartlessAngel

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey there! So I am coming back from a week at a friends cottage, and of course while up here I did quite a bit of fishing. I seem to have bought to many worms from the local convenient store, and will have extra. What I'm curious to know is whether or not these worms will be ok for me to take home for Mudkip, my Axolotl. Up until this point, my girlfriend and I have had him on a diet of Salamander pellets and frozen blocks of Bloodworms, so I'm not too sure about the worms.

If they are ok to feed him, should I cut them up, or give them to him whole? I'm still fairly knew at owning an Axolotl, as we've only had him for about three months now, so any advice and insight you could give me on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Earthworms make a great staple diet :) Just make sure the worms you feed have not been sourced from an area where chemicals (such as fertilisers or pesticides) have been used. The bait worms should be fine :)

I use bait worms I got from Walmart for my tiger salamanders but have occasionally given my axolotl a small chunk. All critters are fine so far.

As far as I know all store bought worms are from the same handful of worm farms, at least here in eastern North America. I've lived in several states across the U.S. and bought worms from dozens if not hundreds of pet stores and dozens of bait shops and theyve always come in one of maybe 3 containers from the same farms. The ones I buy in pet shops are labeled as fish bait, not pet food so I believe they are all from the same source. Now there be some sort of "grade" or quality to worms but the packages dont seem to have any visible labeling saying so. I've wondered the same thing in the past. Good question. Hope if someone knows differently theyll chime in.

Thank you for the input! This is our little guy right now. I was wondering if he was big enough for a whole worm (They are fairly long and large) Or if I should cut them into pieces?

IMG_20150817_142313_zpswwg13w6p.jpg
[/URL]

I cut worms to just shy of the width of the animals head I'm feeding them to. My personal preference.

Start with 1/2 inch pieces, and work up to the length of the axie. My adults (9-10") can take a whole 14" nightcrawler.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back