Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Western Carolina (NC) Axolotls (for sale?)

Roxxy

Reaction score
Hi, so after researching online and reading/seeing so much about them on this very site, I've decided to buy an axolotl.
Only problem is that I live in kindof a remote area and cant find any sellers. (I live about an hour away from Asheville, NC) I've seen some online available for shipping but i'm not quite comfortable with purchasing things over the internet, not to mention the worries over shipping them. So if anyone knows any sellers in the area or has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. <3

(Some extra info- I have a 35 gallon tank (we owed a koi fish for about 7 years, so I have some experience with fish/aquariums) but its not with me currently and I wont be able to pick it up for a couple weeks so I cant buy an axo immediately)

Thank you for any help
~Roxy

Swag

Reaction score
I live in Chapel Hill, if I had a spare axolotl I'd say you could come pick one up!
I've bought 7 axolotls total over the internet from different places in the US. Mostly from Eric Eads in Cincinnati OH, who I thoroughly recommend for great prices and good service. You can find him on Facebook at Cincinnati reptiles or his personal page if you can find it. The only problem I ever had was an axolotl unfortunately got delayed somehow on it's way from Washington state and ended up having to spend 5 days in a bag, in the summer. That was a bummer opening that box, but I knew what the outcome would be. The lady who I bought it from was also bummed and sent out one of his brothers the next day, who arrived in perfect health and was an awesome healthy little axolotl.
Over all the best bet is online, get a juvenile and use someone you find from this site and don't pay more than $40 including shipping for any wild, leucistic, melanoid, golden, or albino. Shipping is usually around $15, most of the above types are $15-$20 for a juvenile axolotl. Coppers and more rare colors will be more money, I just bought myself a copper and I'm so excited to get him, I put him on hold because his tank wasn't ready yet but it'll be finished cycling in the next few days!

Good luck and I hope you find the right axolotl, most of the sellers in the "FS: USA" section at the bottom of the forum index here are respected, trustworthy and well-known.

Roxxy

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. After looking more thoroughly on the FS:USA section, I actually found a seller in SC that's not too far from me. Haven't contacted them yet because the tank situation is a little up in the air and even once I get it I need to cycle it. And if that doesn't work out i'll definitively check out Eric Eads.
Thanks again
~Roxy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1