Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tapeworms in axolotl

Nim Dibbley

Reaction score
I haven't kept amphibians in years, but a friend of mine thought i might be able to help her with a potential issue. she sent me a pic of what appears to be a tape worm and said there were a couple of them in her tank and they appear to come from the axolotl droppings.

I have previously used Prazipro (Praziquantel) on my fish for internal parasites and that worked for me. I was hesitant to recommend this product on an amphibian. Has anyone used this before on axolotls? or would you recommend a different product?

Attachments

• axolotltapeworm.jpg
    axolotltapeworm.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 458

keiko

Reaction score
I don't have any personal experience with this medicine, but I have heard of people using Praziquantel with some amphibians. No idea about the dosage though.
Here's a short list of some safe and unsafe medications: axolotl.org/health (scroll all the way down)

Margie

Reaction score
I was told by an aquatics vet that praziquantel is safe for amphibians. I have used it on my axolotls with no ill effects. I used the dosage recommended on the package.

Nim Dibbley

Reaction score
I was told by an aquatics vet that praziquantel is safe for amphibians. I have used it on my axolotls with no ill effects. I used the dosage recommended on the package.

Thanks for the response!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1