How do you tell if an axolotl is healthy?

Isabella

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was just wondering...

You know how looking in a lizard's mouth and seing it pink means they're healthy? I was wondering if there was a way to tell if an axolotl is healthy through something like that. I know someone will say that I'll just have to look at their living conditions (e.g. Is it on gravel, Is the temp too high, etc...) this is just pure curiosity and I'm in no rush!! ? :D

Since my first axie suddenly died (and I had no idea why until I did some research after) I've been more vigilant looking for signs of illness. I'm still fairly new at this, so I also draw on my experience with fish and reptiles. Here's what I believe to be *possible* signs of stress or illness:

Gills:
- tilted forward (too much water flow)
- losing "fluffiness" (fine filaments)
- curling at the ends - I've seen pics of many axies with curled gills, so I'm not 100% sure if this is anything to worry about. My axie who died developed curled gills within the last week before she died.
- pieces missing, especially from the thicker bits
- whitish fuzz on gills
- extremely pale (not just when they're resting/asleep)
- axolotl gulping a lot of air at the surface (may mean lack of oxygen)

Skin
- white patches, mucus (can be sign of heat stress)
- fuzzy patches
- red patches, look like wounds (could be physical damage or infection)
- wounds

Limbs
- missing, damaged
- "red leg" bacterial infection
- axie not moving them normally, limb(s) may be dangling or curled backwards

Tail
- stays curled at the end
- fin looks ragged, curled, may look reddish or whitish
- chunks of fin missing, torn

Behaviour
- refusal to eat
- doesn't poop
- gulps air at the surface a lot
- floats at the surface AND tries to get back down, but can't
- looks bloated, may also float or tilt to one side
- lethargic, hides all the time and doesn't move much

Those are the things I watch for. They aren't necessarily emergencies, but something to keep an eye on. I'm sure others will be able to think of more symptoms.

Since my first axie suddenly died (and I had no idea why until I did some research after) I've been more vigilant looking for signs of illness. I'm still fairly new at this, so I also draw on my experience with fish and reptiles. Here's what I believe to be *possible* signs of stress or illness:

Gills:
- tilted forward (too much water flow)
- losing "fluffiness" (fine filaments)
- curling at the ends - I've seen pics of many axies with curled gills, so I'm not 100% sure if this is anything to worry about. My axie who died developed curled gills within the last week before she died.
- pieces missing, especially from the thicker bits
- whitish fuzz on gills
- extremely pale (not just when they're resting/asleep)
- axolotl gulping a lot of air at the surface (may mean lack of oxygen)

Skin
- white patches, mucus (can be sign of heat stress)
- fuzzy patches
- red patches, look like wounds (could be physical damage or infection)
- wounds

Limbs
- missing, damageds

- "red leg" bacterial infection
- axie not moving them normally, limb(s) may be dangling or curled backwards

Tail
- stays curled at the end
- fin looks ragged, curled, may look reddish or whitish
- chunks of fin missing, torn

Behaviour
- refusal to eat
- doesn't poop
- gulps air at the surface a lot
- floats at the surface AND tries to get back down, but can't
- looks bloated, may also float or tilt to one side
- lethargic, hides all the time and doesn't move much

Those are the things I watch for. They aren't necessarily emergencies, but something to keep an eye on. I'm sure others will be able to think of more symptoms.

Thank you soooo much!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back