What is wrong with my axolotl?

axolotlrcs

Reaction score
Country
United States
So within the past couple days, I've noticed that my 2 year old axolotl has gotten really puffy and wider out of no where. He has also been eating less, and I'm scared because I have no idea what is wrong with him. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20150820_131037.jpg
    20150820_131037.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 243
Could he have eaten something too hard and big to digest? A rock, a marble, a snail, some gravel...? I just tried to do some research... It seems a few people have had similar issues and every thread I looked at was basically people just saying that they're sorry and had no idea what could have definitively been the cause, and they all seemed to pass away.

I'd suggest putting him in the fridge, daily water changes... I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck.

Caudata Culture Articles: Bloat
Sadly, sudden-onset bloat is usually a symptom of serious illness or organ failure. The above article has some care instructions for helping bloated animals potentially heal on their own. It also addresses the possibility of immediate vet care for antibiotic treatment. It may be a difficult decision if cost is a factor, since bloat is often not able to be successfully treated. Good luck in your choice and treatment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back