Harleys and stardust's gills still not great

axoltlmad123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay as some of you may know. Harley and stardust's tank cycles crashed and I have got then in tubs doing daily water changes . But it's been more than several weeks and I have seen little improvement. They are still losing weight but I am managing to get them to eat several worms every now and again- this has only started up recently so maybe they'll start gaining weight now. I'm struggling to keep their water cool it's going up to about 23 degrees c so no way near ideal . They are in with an capatta leaf . What else can I do I use dechlorinated water (fresh) each day. I leave it to sit for a few hours to get to room temperature. Would it be helpful to use the lucky reptile herp nursery /hibernation box to keep the water cool. I was thing of putting them both in smaller tubs and putting them inside and then setting the temperature to a bit cooler than room temp. If I set the temp at around 19 degrees c I can keep adjusting it to the temp of the water until I have it right. Would this work?

Put them in the fridge to keep them cool. Daily water changes with cold water.

I don't have a fridge but the hibernation box works in the same way . Also it's warmer than a fridge so isn't it better because I can set it up to the temp I need it so they are cooler but still eating.

I don't have a fridge but the hibernation box works in the same way . Also it's warmer than a fridge so isn't it better because I can set it up to the temp I need it so they are cooler but still eating.

Perhaps some more experienced members can give some other advice too as I am only a newbie with axolotls myself but here is some of my thoughts.

It sounds like a hibernation box is a bit like a refrigerated wine cooler that gets things to 8-15 degrees? I'm not sure how a hibernation box works, but if you already own one and can get your water to a better stable temperature that is lower (safely and not risking electric shock I might add)- then it sounds like it might be worth a shot I guess as it sounds like it might be very effective and just what you need. It's got to be better than the alternative of leaving things as they are as you say you are struggling to get it lower than 23 C. But like I said, safety first ok. You don't want to get water in something that couldn't handle an accidental spill.

I know there are lots of ideas to cool axie tanks as I have been looking into that myself with the impending summer in the southern hemisphere, but I do think like you said, ambient room temperature air conditioning really has the greatest impact on tank temperature. Fans pointed at the tank can lower the temp 1 or 2 degrees by evaporation, and there are proper tank chillers you can buy but I have no personal experience with how effective they are. Some people use ice but I know the sudden fluctuations can be risky to axies.

Thank you so much and the hibernation box can also be used as a hatchery so if it was to be used as a hatchery you have to put a tray of water on the bottom . ?

Fans pointed at the tank can lower the temp 1 or 2 degrees by evaporation

Actually one small fan can lower the temp of the tank by over 5 degrees!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back