The New Newbie :)

Lola1305

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for having me :) I have to let you know that this is my first time ever to be part of a forum or online community. I will apologise in advance for my newbie mistakes. I am still learning haha :)

Let me introduce myself, I'm Doris, 28, born in the Netherlands but moved to Melbourne 5 years ago. I have to beautiful axolotls,
1 Albino male, his name is Rick James
1 Leucistic female, her name used to be George Micheal but ever since I found out he is a she her name has changed to Georgia Micheal.
They are almost one year old and we just had our first eggs. (17 hatchlings alive and almost kicking, the legs should start any day now! I'm so excited :)

But here is the thing, just now as I'm starring into my tank (I love watching them!) I noticed that Rick (my male) had a red mark/bump on his back leg .. No!! Little panic and stress sets in.. This has never happened, what did you do?
Did he get stuck somehow someway somewhere? Or did he have a lovers tif with Georgia (my female)?
Has anyone had this or can someone maybe point me in the right direction of what to do?

I love these 2 silly axolotls, don't want either of them to be in pain or uncomfortable.
I hope the photo helps. (It will only let me upload 1 photo can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, sorry guys)

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to read and help :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 127
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
Lol, 'silly' should be in the dictionary definition for them. Axolotl- Silly aquatic amphibian with a smiling face. Something like that. ;)
Joking aside, to me it looks like an accidental bite wound on his leg there. As long as water quality is good and temps are not too high it should heal up on its own, just keep your eye on it for now, unless it gets develops a secondary infection or fungus it shouldn't need any treatment.

Hi, thank you for the reply :)
I agree, that should be their definition! Gosh never ever did I think that they would have such different personalities, the female is very curious and wants to see everything that happens around the tank. She comes out to say hello to anyone who pops past haha. My male on the other hand can be a bit of a grump, likes his hiding spots and there have been some days he only comes out when it's dinner time.

Thank you for your advice on things :) the water quality is good, no mayor difference between now and last testing. My temp usually sits around 18 degrees. He looks happy, and still good appetite :)

I'll definitely keep a closer look the coming days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still worried :(
Even though his leg looks heaps better, he stopped using it. Only recently though...
He is eating like normal, doing his thing around the tank like normal, but not using his leg ..
I don't know what to do, am worried sick about my little man. What to do?
Should I start looking around for a vet ?

Thank you for taking the time to read :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 87
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back