One of my baby axolotls has had both front arms half chewed off. plus a floating baby.

axoltlmad123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well where do I begin. I noticed this baby today as he is whiter than the others probably down to the legs. I hadn't noticed before now that he had his legs chewed or I would have removed him . He is very thin compared to his brothers and sisters. As you can see. You can visibly see his bones and he has fungus. His legs are working but I'm stuck on what to do. What is the most humane thing to do?he is currently in fresh de chlorinated water with an Indian almond Leaf.

Next I have a stunning baby that has been floating for a good few weeks. I was advised to leave him and see if he passed the air bubble. He is managing to eat and poop
Has the biggest most gorgeous fluffy healthy looking gills but just can't stay upright is this common and what can I do there must be something .

Attachments

• 20150821_223027.jpg
    20150821_223027.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 718
  • 20150822_014037.jpg
    20150822_014037.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 423
  • 20150821_234015.jpg
    20150821_234015.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 612
Floating I had this with one of mine I was told it was the swim bladder and to move her in to a shallow dish with plants to hold on to . Mine was like this a week and then she was fine . Hope this helps good luck with the other fella

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Okay this may sound crazy!!!! I have only just done it and can't believe my eyes . :eek: well firstly I was advised to put the water just above his head and not feed for 2 to 3 days. I did that and his gills aren't looking nearly as great. After reading your comment about the plants I thought about it and tried it and it wasn't working . So I thought some more and came up with a crazy plan. I put him in deeper water with a plant and put some food in. He gripped onto the plant for a couple of minutes then he swam down and upside down swam around eating food and then ... yes then.... he flipped over and started eating and now keeps doing it so go fingers crossed .

Little update. The baby which had his legs chewed sadly died. But the floating one with big gills has improved a lot
. Is it possible that the floating could be caused by stress because as soon as I move him with the net he goes funny but soon sorts himself out. It seems he's finding it easier. All I did is moved him to deeper water with a plant in. That's right deeper water! His gills don't look as nice as they used to. But they still look pretty great and are getting fluffier.

Attachments

• 20150831_110951.jpg
    20150831_110951.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 423
  • 20150831_111014.jpg
    20150831_111014.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 292
  • 20150831_111058.jpg
    20150831_111058.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 227
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back