Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will acolytes gills grow back

smileyjuice

Reaction score
So I got 2 axoltols about a week ago. One axoltols ate one of the gills on the other to a point where it's not there. Will they grow back?n No fungus on him. Also arethey both healthy? Their gills are angled back and slightly curved. But they are red. I will try to post pics.

Fimbriae

Reaction score
They should grow back, it is a slow process though. Give them cool clean water and stay on top of your water parameters. Also, they may not grow back to their original condition. Sometimes they grow back stunted or crooked etc. Nutritious high quality food may accelerate the regeneration process. Earth worms/dew worms are a preferred staple.

melgado22

Reaction score
just out of curiosity since we are on the subject, can malnourishment cause the gills to look like ****? or is it just water parameters?

Fimbriae

Reaction score
I believe so, yes. There is an immediate response between going from being dormant to say wrestling a worm to eat as well. Blood starts coursing through their gills as their muscles need it for movement, they subsequently swell as a result. As the stomach needs blood for digestion, I've noticed they usually stay large for some time after feeding. If they don't get enough nutrition (iron + trace minerals) in their diet the size of gill tissue may diminish over time to the point where they don't really swell much during feeding anymore. Though I am no expert in cardiovascular functions in amphibian physiology -this is just what makes sense to me and partially witnessed first hand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!