Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help!

tlow

Reaction score
My two juvie wildtypes have just died within 24hrs of each other. My leucistic still seems okay but he wouldn't eat yesterday. What should I do?! I tested my water yesterday and it was fine except the nitrate was a little high. The temp is 19-20C.

blushed

Reaction score
That really isn't enough information for us to help you.

What size tank?
How many axxies are in said tank?
What are exact water parameters in PPM?
What substrate/decor are you using?
What symptoms did your axolotls exhibit before passing?

All of those should be a good base to get you some help!

And I'm very sorry about your axolotls.

tlow

Reaction score
AW: Help!

That really isn't enough information for us to help you.

What size tank?
How many axxies are in said tank?
What are exact water parameters in PPM?
What substrate/decor are you using?
What symptoms did your axolotls exhibit before passing?

All of those should be a good base to get you some help!

And I'm very sorry about your axolotls.

20gal tank, there were 3 axies in it but now only one :(
Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40ppm
Live java fern/driftwood on fine sand
Both of the ones who passed were floating at the top of the tank a lot, however they could and would still walk along the bottom for brief periods of time. Neither would eat at the last feeding before their death. The remaining axie is not floating at all however he would not eat at his most recent feeding either :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1