Illness/Sickness: Worsening after fridging

byemyself

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few days ago I noticed my axelotl was developing weird bumps around his tail as well as not eating and getting white fungus around his gills. Because of all this, I decided to fridge him until I got paid and got aquarium salt. After a day in the fridge and a salt bath he looks like the picture below (WARNING: NSFL image:cry:). I don't know if fridging him was the right choice and I'm looking for advice on what to do next. He's still alive and moving though very slowly and not much. If you have any advice please let me know. I will continue to do daily salt baths and 100% water changes, I'm just unsure of it being enough to save him when it made him look worse.

Attachments

• IMG_6446.JPG
    IMG_6446.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 155
I think your little guy has a bacterial infection ...he looks rough....and neither fridging or salt baths would be appropriate treatment if this is the case. He will need a vet and antibiotics....read up on red leg......as not just confined to the leg.

I think your little guy has a bacterial infection ...he looks rough....and neither fridging or salt baths would be appropriate treatment if this is the case. He will need a vet and antibiotics....read up on red leg......as not just confined to the leg.

he didn't look anything like this until after I put him in the fridge. Do you think putting him in the fridge lowered his immune system so he couldn't fight it off.

I agree, this one would benefit a visit to the vet. He is a bit on the skinny side as well. It is quite possibly a bacterial infection requiring antibiotics. I would cease the salt baths. How cold was the fridge? I don't think the symptoms here are related to fridging.

The axie is still a Juvi, honestly I wouldn't give it that many salt baths, if you are waiting for pay day until you are going to visit the vet, I would look for store antibiotics and at least put the axie in that ie EM erythromycin which I have had much success with over a 7 to 10 day span for illnesses. I will admit right now vet visits for Axies range at $150-200. I see a lot of discolouration so I want to confirm you are using declorinated water right? Other wise there is a fungal infection and if the salt bath cease and you can use antibiotics, the color or texture of your axie may improve.

Some folks argue it is safe to put of course an adult axie in salt bath daily but really you can see how the young ones can't handle that many as their skin gets real bad.

He may have a few different issues, but may all stem from anchorworm in my opinion. Look carefully at the dark (Y) shaped filaments on him from your photo. Without doubt that is anchorworm, a parasite introduced from certain live foods. I have heard Dimlin is used to treat anchorworm, but I have no experience in dealing with it. Compare your axolotl to other photos of axies afflicted with anchorworm and try searching for anchorworm treatments/remedies. Also if your axie is under 4", salt baths and fridge treatments are particularly harder on them than adults.

Best of luck :(

Attachments

• Anchorworm.jpg
    Anchorworm.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 142
Thanks mate. Was hoping the OP would have an update by now. Hopefully that axie hasn't succumbed, was looking pretty rough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back