Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Does my axolotl have a fungal infection?

axolitllsebastian

Reaction score
My 6-7 month old axolotl has always had white specks on the tips of his gills. They are not fuzzy like cotton. Should I be worried about this? He also has white spots on his tail that do come off when rubbed, pictured below. Other than that he seems healthy. Please let me know if this is a fungal infection and what to do about it. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6899 (1).jpg
    IMG_6899 (1).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 6,887

Hoagii

Reaction score
My axolotl had a pale spot like that on her gill right before the fungus appeared. It's weird that yours had always looked like that. Are there filaments on the gill in the area of the pallor?

Fimbriae

Reaction score
My leucy GFP had similar white on one of her gill tips when she was younger. Picture is when she was about 6 months old, she is 1.5yrs old now. I never saw it develop in to a legitimate case of fungus though. I waited about a month or so and it never really got worse, but I did end up treating with salt baths for 5 days at that point. Eventually she grew out of it, but there are shorter and less gill fimbriae on the originally affected tip. I'd keep a close eye on it, the second you see fuzz -look in to fungal treatment. As for the white on the tail, I'm not too sure as it's kind of blurry.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 871
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,179

axolitllsebastian

Reaction score
My axolotl had a pale spot like that on her gill right before the fungus appeared. It's weird that yours had always looked like that. Are there filaments on the gill in the area of the pallor?
There seems to be less around that area. On every gill there's these white tips.

axolitllsebastian

Reaction score
My leucy GFP had similar white on one of her gill tips when she was younger. Picture is when she was about 6 months old, she is 1.5yrs old now. I never saw it develop in to a legitimate case of fungus though. I waited about a month or so and it never really got worse, but I did end up treating with salt baths for 5 days at that point. Eventually she grew out of it, but there are shorter and less gill fimbriae on the originally affected tip. I'd keep a close eye on it, the second you see fuzz -look in to fungal treatment. As for the white on the tail, I'm not too sure as it's kind of blurry.
Hope this helps.
She is very cute! I'm glad she didn't end up having fungus, i'm hoping that's not the case with mine either. He also has less filaments around the area. I will do salt baths if it worsens, thanks! (The tail is back to normal oddly enough.)

Fimbriae

Reaction score
She is very cute! I'm glad she didn't end up having fungus, i'm hoping that's not the case with mine either. He also has less filaments around the area. I will do salt baths if it worsens, thanks! (The tail is back to normal oddly enough.)
No problem. If you do end up having to use salt baths, I would cut the regular concentration in half or so since he's 6-7 months old.
Good luck :eek:

axolitllsebastian

Reaction score
No problem. If you do end up having to use salt baths, I would cut the regular concentration in half or so since he's 6-7 months old.
Good luck :eek:
Did her gills look better after you did salt baths or did it go away on its own?

Fimbriae

Reaction score
It seemed as though it was gradually worsening before the salt baths. Nearly a year later and that gill tip still isn't perfect though. She appears healthy, a little husky as of late (pear shaped). I think she might be gravid.

axolitllsebastian

Reaction score
It seemed as though it was gradually worsening before the salt baths. Nearly a year later and that gill tip still isn't perfect though. She appears healthy, a little husky as of late (pear shaped). I think she might be gravid.
That's good to know, thanks for the help! I think i'm going to give him a salt bath. He seems to have these white tips on almost every gill.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1