Mixing siren with fishes

newtmember

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
kai
I have a greater siren in a 55 gallons tank and the siren is roughly around 10 inches. I got a catfish from a friend today who said he couldn't take care of it any longer. soooooo the siren is with the catfish. The catfish turn out to be a red tail Asian catfish.....It's known to kills fishes much bigger than itself. I'm worry about my siren and I don't want to throw my friend fish away, she got it as a birthday present and she's said it was really special to her. WHAT DO I DO PLEASE HELP ME PEOPLE.

I think it is pretty obvious, by the way you wrote this post that one of them needs to be removed into a separate aquarium/ tub. The fish is clearly far from suitable to be a tank mate with your siren.

This is the care sheet that I looked at for the fish.
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish, Red-Tail.htm

Last edited:
Probably a nit pick, but that website, (Aqualandpetsplus.com) is atrocious when it comes to herps. Look at the white's tree frog page, or the eastern newt one for example. I would not do anything that they say, and look for an actual care sheet

Agreed, great catfish but will end up chewing up your siren. Theyre pretty shy and peaceful when little but become unusually relentless when they start to get a little bigger, usually around when they start to transition to their red tail. Hate to see you loose your siren, get another tank asap. If you cant afford it, local fish based pet shops would probably love to take it off your hands. They arent horribly common and you may get some decent store credit to invest in your siren supplies. :D

I am rather embarrassed for adding a link to that site...it really is awful :eek:

I am rather embarrassed for adding a link to that site...it really is awful :eek:

Dont be, you were trying to help. Cant expect you to know instantaneously if its credible, especially if youre not a fish person. Sorry for assuming that, just did so because you linked the south american redtail, easy mistake. No harm done.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back