Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is Mighty Morphin really Morphing

Silverbearslady

Reaction score
This is Mighty Morphin...he was hatched in one of two clutches, one in Dec. 2014 and another in Feb. 2015. He used to have lush beautiful gills, which have almost disappeared, his eyes look different (possible eyelids growing), and his tail is totally changing shape. I am attaching pictures, but can anyone tell me 1) is he really morphing, and 2) if so, what do I do next???? Treat him/her as a Tiger Salamander??? Change habitat now or wait to see what happens?????

Attachments

• WP_20150907_004.jpg
    WP_20150907_004.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 282
  • WP_20150907_013.jpg
    WP_20150907_013.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 240
  • WP_20150907_016.jpg
    WP_20150907_016.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 240
  • WP_20150907_003.jpg
    WP_20150907_003.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 259

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
First off, yes it is morphing. Second, wait until the gill nubs are completely gone and it is surfacing for air to change the tank set-up. The tiger salamander care-sheet will be applied for a "Morpholotl"

Silverbearslady

Reaction score
Wow, I thought so, but, THANKS, confirmation rocks! Also, another Wow, salamanders are a new learnng experience...Are there any "tips or tricks" that are good to know for a new "Morphalotl" Mom:D

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
I own a tiger salamander (Related, and require similar terrestrial care) and he is ridiculously easy to care for. The only thing I would watch out for, Axolotls are not designed to morph, and they do die off faster when terrestrial. Other than that, I don't think anything else would be a problem. I will wait until other more skilled keepers reply though, as I am still a noob at this (Mostly reptiles)

xxianxx

Reaction score
Axolotls who morph naturally may not be as prone to early death as those who morph to escape poor conditions, there's not actually info on this, just opinion . Be careful of temp spikes, terrestrial axolotls, can't handle them as well as aquatic ones, I lost 6/6 of my morphed axolotls in a week when the temp hit 24c and 0/1000 aquatic ones.

Silverbearslady

Reaction score
Thank You for the tip...Mighty Morphin did this for no apparent reason, so I think he/she will live a long happy life. I am a bit nervous though, just like I was when the little eggs hatched. Apparently love and caring help when you are not really sure what you are doing. This forum, however, helped me the most.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Just treat it like a terrestrial tiger sal, when it morphs it may have problems feeding, their eye sight appears to take time adjusting to terrestrial feeding, it may constantly snap at food trying to use the vortex feeding method they use aquatically, consistantly fail and give up. Use tweezers and drag the worm down the side of its mouth, it will grab it rather than trying to suck it in. It will learn to feed effectively in time but a bit of help for the first month will keep its body mass up.

Silverbearslady

Reaction score
i thought the egg to axie process was amazing, but to think of all the changes the little guy is going through.....JUST WOW

Silverbearslady

Reaction score
This is Mighty Morphin now. I have tried to provide water or land choice in his tank, but is there anything else I should do? He/she is eating, but not nearly as well as he used to. I think he is just adjusting to all the changes??? Does anyone know if he/she will show sex in the same way? Also, do Morphalotls deal with human handling better than axolotls??? Sorry to be such a noob, but I really want Mighty to live a happy life. He is just so amazing to me....PS...The Axie in the tank behind Mighty is Mama...
I wonder what she thinks of her "baby" turning into something totally different:confused:

Attachments

• WP_20150910_022.jpg
    WP_20150910_022.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 252
  • WP_20150910_023.jpg
    WP_20150910_023.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 190
  • WP_20150910_013.jpg
    WP_20150910_013.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 233

xxianxx

Reaction score
They can go of their food during morphing, it appears to be a natural thing so don't worry about it, offer food, if its eaten that's great. Yes you can sex morphed axolotls. Handling should be minimal, it doesn't benefit the animal. I only handle adult axolotls to move them from their tank as its less stressful than a net, other than that they are hands free :)

Silverbearslady

Reaction score
So, another "WOW"...Mighty Morphin shed for the first time...totally cool to find the perfect little "skin" in the tank this morning!!!!
WP_20151013_007.jpgWP_20151013_008.jpgWP_20151013_013.jpg

ThatNewGuy

Reaction score
That is really cool, I'm so happy that he's doing good and shows signs of adaptation. Congrats :D

Silverbearslady

Reaction score
This is his latest pic, after his 2nd shed, and boy was he hungry!! Does anyone know how often he is supposed to shed. I am assuming it is directly proportional to his growth, but I am still a bit unsure with him. Totally ok with Axolotls, not so much with 1 Morphalotl. Also, I feed my axies 1 worm every day, which I have done since they were big enough to eat the worms and they would eat more if given. But Morphy has slowed way down. Should I feed him less often, or keep offering every day like usual and let him decide. I still have to hold the worm "just right" for him to grab and eat it.
WP_20151020_025.jpg

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Is there any particular reason you're keeping it on wet sand or

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverbearslady

Reaction score
Not really, just trying o use what I had on hand...why, am I doing something wrong?
I really don't mind constructive criticism, especially if it benefits my little ones:blush:

sde

Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1