Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The Perfect Axolotl Tank?

Llouvell

Reaction score
Being a bit new to the world of axies, I want to know, what do you all consider to be the perfect tank set-up?
For instance do you prefer sand, larger stones/gravel, or bare bottomed tanks?
What kind of filter would you say fits an axolotl tank to a T, or would you prefer to go with no filter at all and frequent water changes?
What make the best hides, and do you add in a food dish or just feed your axies by hand?
Basically any helpful information you feel is valuable in setting up the perfect axolotl tank.

Swag

Reaction score
It depends on the axolotl's age and what you want to do with the tank in general. Do you personally like the look of a densely planted tank with a beautiful aquascape? Do you want something super easy and low maintenance? Do you want to keep it cheap?

If you like planted tanks, then sand with lots of plants, maybe a little bit of dirt at the very bottom of the sand. Hides made of driftwood and rocks. If you like low maintenance then no sand and a silly terracotta pot cut in half for a hide, fluidized bed filtration and a planted filter. Combine the two? I currently have no sand and just finally picked up some driftwood, boiling it now! I do have a good amount of plants already.
The perfect axolotl tank is the one that suits your exact needs and preferences at the moment you're in right now. Remember, you can always change things up.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I personally prefer sand. I like the natural look and like my axolotls to have something to grip to rather than bare glass. I have very fine play sand in my tank and I also love how I can see the little foot prints and trails my axolotls leave in the sand :). I don't like big rocks as it makes it more difficult to clean and maintain as debris gets trapped between the rocks. Gravel is a heated topic and the general consensus is to avoid gravel due to high risk of impaction. If you are after the easiest to maintain substrate then bare bottom would be the way to go.

I use a canister filter with a spray bar at the moment and I quite like it. Another advantage of the canister filter is that it would be easy to attach a chiller if needed to keep temperature down. I prefer to have some sort of filtration. Whilst a filterless aquarium is possible to maintain, it is far more simple to maintain a cycled aquarium with filtration. I would recommend having a filter to people who have not a lot of experience maintaining tanks.

I am not sure I have a favourite type of hide. At the moment I have a pirate ship my axolotls can go in and out of (the edges have been filed down so they are not too sharp) and some driftwood with anubias. I would like to add more plants as well which is something I am going to do sometime in the near future.

I mostly hand feed my axolotls earthworms but occasionally will vary it up a little and give them bloodworm or pellets on food dishes. The food dishes I use are just ceramic plates. They are a green colour so they don't look so out of place.

I recommend reading through threads on this forum and attached websites. There is loads of ideas and information that may help. Also, if you are not familiar with cycling aquariums and the nitrogen cycle, the following links would be useful to read. I recommend doing a fishless cycle method. I personally believe it is a more humane method that will not risk harming aquatic life whether it be fish or axolotls.

Scales Tails Wings and Things, What is Aquarium Cycling? How to Cycle your Tank

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Bertybot

Reaction score
I personally prefer sand as axies can swallow pebbles. I go for a slow bubble stream to help keep things oxygenated without hurting Berty's gills. She has fake plants (cause I have found in the past real plants make the tank dirty far to quick) she has a bridge to hide under and aa hollowed out log to hide in as she loves that the most. I also have a thermometer and heater set at 18c since its cold at the moment where I live.
I change the things in the tank every so often as it stops boredem since axies are curious little guys. I feed my axies mainly on sinking pellets which I have softened to make it easier to swallow, and earth worms.
It's really up to personal choice how your tank is placed out, but so long as your axie has somewhere to hide and the normal things it needs it should be great! I want to see pictures when you are set on a tank layout! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1