Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Weird stone like pebbles in tank.

Bertybot

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Today when feeding my little axies I noticed some weird pebble like things in there tank all of them white and very hard. The tank is all fine sand and when Iset the tank up i put no pebbles in there. Everything else in there is a fake plant,hide place and the filter and thermometer. They both seem really happy and swim around like normal.. Also the toilet habbits are normal too. Just wondering if anyone knows.. I thought maybe eggs? But they are so hard when I touch them and they are scattered all over the tank.. Thanks!

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Possibly compressed sand that was eaten and compacted into pellets via digestion? Try breaking 1 up and see if it crumbles down into sand again.

charleybambino

Reaction score
Look at the bases of the fake plants....I bought some that were on a sort of glued together block of small stones and over time they separated...into very small hard pieces

charleybambino

Reaction score
Another thought...did you raise them yourself...or could they have at some point been on a substrate containing what you are one seeing...so they could be pooing it out. I recently bought a Juvie from an aquatic centre...on a bare bottom there...but he has been sick a few times and brought up pebbles the size of my little finger nail.

Bertybot

Reaction score
The plant base is new and isn't made up of pebbles just sand. I tried breaking it up and it didn't do anything at all and sounded like a pebble when I tapped it on the side. I got them from an aquatic centre, the base of the tank in there had nothing. But there seems to be more this morning than there was last night, but some poo too.. Hmm...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1