Moss help!

bioteach

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay so I am a new Sally owner and I am trying to have it all: an easy to disassemble, great looking habitat for my tiger salamander, Sally. I am a teacher so I have to take everything home during christmas and summer vacation. Particularly I would love to have healthy moss but it just isn't working out that way.

First I bought the dehydrated moss from petsmart, which looked fabulous for about a week and then went downhill. Next I cut up moss when I was on vacation at a very secluded spot in minnesota near a national park (very environmentally conscious people in those parts). The moss looked pretty good when I got it, but I was determined to help keep it alive so I got a grow light (just a single bulb I replaced on a nightstand lamp). Below are my before and after pics.

BEFORE:
TTGmGJy.jpg

op6PZ1H.jpg

AFTER:
RBZoyOY.jpg

6lAh2g4.jpg

What I want to know is, from those of you that have that beautiful moss that keeps growing and growing, How do you do it?!

-Sarah (P.S. Sorry the pics are so big I'm gunna try to figure that one out soon...)

It looks like it has dried out? I grow moss on my C. pyrrho's turtle dock, it does very well, but it always has its feet in the water so it can soak up tank water like a sponge. You could maybe try misting it once or twice a day?

I collected a piece of wood completely covered with moss, and my moss is pretty healthy. I think the key is high humidity and good lighting. My moss is in my White's Tree Frog tank that is at 70-80% most of the time.

I collected a piece of wood completely covered with moss, and my moss is pretty healthy. I think the key is high humidity and good lighting. My moss is in my White's Tree Frog tank that is at 70-80% most of the time.

Thanks for the advice! What kind of lighting do you use?

I use LED lighting. It is the Exo-Terra Day & Night LED, but I don't turn it on at night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back